Middle College Program
Dual Credit Opportunities
Beginning their Sophomore year, students can begin taking Dual Enrollment college courses at Greer Middle College. Students who pass a Dual Enrollment college course receive credit for both a completed high school course with an extra quality point factored into the GPA and a college course toward a college degree.
In order to take college course, students must complete the following process:
GMC students meeting the following criteria are eligible to enroll in a Dual Enrollment course.
- Students must complete their freshmen year with a 3.5 minimum GPA and have passed all course work. Juniors and seniors are required to have a minimum 3.0 GPA and have passed all course work the previous year.
- Students must qualify through final English and/or math grades at Greer Middle College, through passing the Accuplacer test or through SAT and/or ACT scores.
- Students need to have the recommendation of teachers. Maturity is the biggest single success factor, so teacher input is important. Students need to be independent learners, show time management skills, be organized and be able to self-advocate.
College Tuition and Fees
Any student who qualifies for the program must complete and sign a GMC Middle College Program Contract. Two important provisions of this contract are:
1. GMC will cover the cost of a certain number of college credits per semester. If a student wishes to take additional college courses in a given semester, then the student will be responsible for covering the additional tuition costs. The Course Allotment and Tuition Schedule for each class is:
|Grade Level||Allotted to take||GMC pays for|
|Sophomore||2 classes/semester||3 credit hours/semester|
|Junior||3 classes/semester||6 credit hours/semester|
|Senior||4 classes/semester||9 credit hours/semester|
$120 / Credit Hour
* Note: After the first year of taking college courses, students may take up to two college courses during the summer. All summer courses are paid by the student.
Each student taking additional courses will receive an invoice from GMC. The invoice will be sent through Quickbooks and can be paid online through Quickbooks.
2. Students who transfer from GMC after taking college courses the previous semester will be responsible for reimbursing the school for any tuition, book costs, and other fees paid by the school on their behalf.
Dual Enrollment Registration Process
Students are responsible for completing all required Dual Enrollment paperwork. The Counseling Department will communicate to students and parents when registration paperwork is available and deadlines for registration.
Each Spring, students will sit down with their school counselor during their Individual Graduation Plan (IGP) meeting to discuss pathways and to map out Dual Enrollment courses during high school.
Each Fall, students will meet counselors during College Seminar to select and register for 2nd semester courses.
Additional Information and Resources
There are several sources of information and additional resources available to students to assist them in the planning, preparation and completion of Dual Enrollment courses through Greenville Technical College. The following is a list of some of those resources: